Ok, not really but you can start taking care of it so it´s almost like new! It is well known that heart health is not doing too well at the moment and every day there are more and more people suffering from cardiovascular (heart) disease. Here are some tips, from recommendations made by the British Heart Foundation, to help you take care of your heart:
- Oil it. A simple practice you can incorporate into your cooking is the swap from butter and other hard fats to oil. Although olive oil is highly recommended for its chemical composition (essential fats), other such as sunflower oil will also be an improvement. Use them raw when possible (as in salad dressing) and try to stay away from fried foods.
- Spice it. Salt is not the only condiment out there. You can try experimenting with herbs and other spices to enhance the flavour of your meals. Don´t just reach for already made flavouring sauces, including soy sauce, as these tend to be loaded with salt. Why not grow your own and bring a touch of nature to your kitchen?
- Pop it. Choosing popcorn instead of crisps will not only satisfy your craving for a snack, popcorn is also a good source of fiber. Try making them at home or choosing the natural flavour kind. The butter loaded or sweetened or with cheddar will be higher in calories and salt or sugar so watch out for those varieties.
- Dress it. Linked to point number 1, you can try a splash of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon for your salads. This way you´ll avoid the highly-caloric salad dressings out there. Plus it will give your greens a special touch to make them even more delicious.
- Work it. There is nothing better for your heart than a little exercise. If you are already quite active good for you! Keep it up. If not, aim to complete 30 minutes of physical activity per day, even if you have to chunk it into shorter sessions. You can increase your activity by taking your best friend out for a walk (doesn´t have to be a human friend, can be your doggy too), gardening (spring has sprung!), dancing, going for a walk or taking a bike ride.
I hope you´ll find these ideas easy to incorporate into your life. Let me know how it goes and what you do to look after your heart.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]