Dr. Sara D. Garduno Diaz
For the Love of food
My most recent position was as Head of Product at Natural Mojo where I developed a superfood-based product range and aided in the rebranding across various countries, leading the activities for product and operations.
Previously I was head of R&D at ONO Labs where I have set up and improved product lines targeting female health and gut health in form of capsules and probiotic powders.
In 2012 I co-founded and led Your Choice Nutrition as Senior Nutrition Consultant, where I worked on the nutritional management of patients with a range of health conditions & special requirements.
Prior, I was Assistant Professor at the American University of the Middle East, where I lectured in nutrition, biology and research methods, while continuing my research on dietary patterns.
I have been part of two major EU-level research projects, EuroFIR and CHANCE, which focused on the dietary assessment and the nutritional status evaluation of at-risk populations in several European countries. For these projects I participated in the coordination of several centers which included documentation, ethical approvals, data compilation, drafting and presentation of reports as well as planning annual progress meetings for the entire consortium.
I also worked as a research fellow at the School of Food Science and Nutrition at the University of Leeds, from where I also obtained my Ph.D. on the topic of dietary patterns and ethnic-associated risk factors for the metabolic syndrome; working directly with planning, setting up and carrying out full population studies.
- Head of Product
- Head of Product
2012 - 2017
Your Choice Nutrition
- Senior Nutrition Consultant
American University of the Middle East
- Assistant Professor for nutrition, biology & research methods
University of Leads
- Nutrition Phd
- research fellow for Food Science & Nutrition
- Nutrition Bachelor
Personalized Food: From Home Cooking to the Food Industry
Applied Human Nutrition for Food Scientists and Home Economists
Food Processing, Biochemistry and Agriculture
Sustainable Food Systems
Food Lipids: Chemistry, Nutrition and Biotechnology
Probiotics and Prebiotics in Food, Nutrition and Health
Probiotics and Prebiotics in Food, Nutrition and Health
My Presentations at International Conferences
|Titel der Präsentation||Veranstaltung||Tagungsort||Datum|
|Development of a plant-based dietary supplement to address life-cycle needs of the European female population.||21st Euro-Global Summit on Food and Beverages.||Berlin, Germany||March 2018|
|Development of a plant-based dietary supplement to address critical micronutrient needs of women of child-bearing age in Europe.||20thInternational Conference on Food Science, Food Safety Policy and Management System.||Prague, Czech Republic||March 2018|
|Nutrition for the elderly||Mexican Association for Education and Development||Cuernavaca, Mexico||July 2017|
|University life and food: feed your brain||Intra University Awareness Tour for GUST, ACK, and BoxHill Universities||Mishref, Kuwait||Oktober 2016|
|Sports Nutrition||The Public Authority for Sports’ Sports Nutrition Conference||Khaldiya, Kuwait||September 2016|
|Mapping the food culture of the Middle East through dietary patterns||Second Kuwait International Conference on Life Sciences||Shuwaikh, Kuwait||April 2016|
|Factors that determine an obesogenic environment in Kuwait||Sprecher beim Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research||Kuwait City, Kuwait||September 2015|
|Food Security in the Middle East and North Africa||ICFSN 2015 : International Conference on Food Security and Nutrition||Istanbul, Türkei||Januar 2015|
|Components of an Obesogenic Environment in Kuwait||3rd World Congress of Public Health Nutrition||Las Palmas, Spanien||November 2014|
|Ordering food online: the habits of Kuwait’s residents||20thInternational Congress of Nutrition||Granada, Spanien||September 2013|
|Nutrient intake assessment of migrant populations using country of origin vs. host country recommendations: implications for public health policies||4th Conference on Migrant and Ethnic Minority Health in Europe||Mailand, Italien||Juni 2012|
|Consumption of ethnic foods in Europe||6th Central European Congress on Food||Novi Sad, Serbien||Mai 2012|
|The impact of micronutrients on cardiovascular disease risk||4 ème édition de la Journée Scientifique de Nutrition de Sup’Santé||Casablanca, Marokko||Mai 2012|
|L’évolution des recommandations en nutrition||Sprecher, Ecole Supérieure Privée de Nutrition et du Paramédical||Casablanca, Marokko||Oktober 2011|
|Dietary implications for health||Mathematics and Physical Sciences Post-Graduate Researcher of the Year Conference||Leeds, Großbritannien||Oktober 2011|
|South Asian dietary patterns identified using ethnic food composition data||9thInternational Food Data Conference||Norwich, Großbritannien||September 2011|
|Length of residency and non-communicable diseases in the UK’s South Asian community: obesity, diabetes and heart disease||2ndInternational Congress of Abdominal Obesity||Buenos Aires, Argentinien||Februar 2011|
|The impact of diet on health||1st Leeds Post Graduate Research Conference||Leeds, Großbritannien||November 2010|
|Diet quality and physical activity index: comparison between ethnic groups in the UK||Meeting for the India Partnering Award BBSRC||Mysore, Indien||Oktober 2010|
|Nutrition transition in the UK: the case of South Asians||II World Congress of Public Health Nutrition and I Latin American Congress of Community Nutrition.||Oporto, Portugal||September 2010|
|Fruit and vegetable consumption among British Indians in the UK||EGEA VI Conference||Brüssel, Belgien||June 2010|
- Development of a plant-based dietry supplement to address life-cycle needs of the European female population. Nutrition and Food Technology 2018, 4(1). Garduño-Diaz SD, Milcheva R, Xu C.
- Investigation of Variations in the Human Urine Metabolome Amongst European Populations. An Exploratory Search for Biomarkers of People at Risk of Poverty. Molecular nutrition & food research (2018): 1800216. Trimigno A, Khakimo B, Savorani F, Tenori L, Hendrixson V, Čivilis A, Glibetic M, Gurinovic M, Pentikäinen S, Sallinen J, Garduño-Diaz SD, Pasqui F, Khokhar S, Luchinat C, Bordoni A, Capozzi F, Engelsen SB.
- Functional Foods. Delva Publishers 2018. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Probiotics and Prebiotics in Food, Nutrition and Health. Delva Publishers 2018. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- The normalization of conflicts of interest in the USA and their potential impact on public health nutrition. World Nutrition 2017, 8(1) doi.org/10.26596/wn.201781123-127. Aksnes B, Alvim M and Garduño-Diaz SD.
- The gut-brain connection: feeding your Brian. E Cronicon Nutrition 2016, 5.6: 965-966. Garduño-Diaz SD
- Traditional diets: wisdom worth preserving. E Cronicon Nutrition 2016, 4.5: 965-966. Garduño-Diaz SD
- Food waste reduction and low calorie diets as a step towards food security in the MENA. Insights in Nutrition and Dietetics 2016, 1:1. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Development of whole-person care models in the GCC. E Cronicon Nutrition 2016, ECO 01: 01-02. Garduño-Diaz SD
- Nutritional recommendations for bodybuilding and Ramadan: intermittent fasting for strength training. E Cronicon Nutrition 2016, 4.2: 852-856. Garduño-Diaz SD
- Diet-related behavior modification following bariatric surgery. E Cronicon Nutrition 2016, 3.4: 673- 675. Garduño-Diaz SD
- Past, present and future: here is what we see. World Nutrition 2016, 7(1-2): 34-69. Aksnes B, Fardet A, Bhurtyal A, Castillo C, Schuftan C, Cannon G, Kent G, Sattamini I, Vivero Pol J, Alvim M, Wahlqvist M, Yambi O, Zazueta P, Patel R, Garduño-Diaz SD, Khambadkone S, Vandevijvere S, de Sa T.
- A step to sustenance. World Nutrition 2016, 7(1-2): 7-26. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Low birth weight in Kuwait-an opportunity for nutrition interventions. E Cronicon Nutrition 2015, 3.1: 511-512. Garduño-Diaz SD
- Global Nutrition Report. Development as fighting for freedom. World Nutrition 2015, 6(11-12): 767-769. Aksnes B, Sattamini I, Alvim M and Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Sustainable? Not likely. World Nutrition 2015, 6(11-12): 872-884. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Middle Eastern ethnic cuisine. E Cronicon Nutrition 2015, 2.3: 369-371. Garduño-Diaz SD
- Addictive behavior of dietary intake among young adults in Kuwait. E Cronicon Nutrition 2015, 2.3: 348-350. Garduño-Diaz SD and Abu-Ghazaleh H.
- Dietary patterns and food culture in the Middle East. E Cronicon Nutrition 2015, 2.2: 318-327. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Teaching children about nutrition: development of the vegetable and fruit education activity (VFEA). Research Journal of Specific Education 2015, 38: 417-433. Husain W, Ashkanani F, Garduño-Diaz SD, and Khokhar S.
- Good news for shrimp eaters in the Gulf. World Nutrition 2015, 6(6): 542-543. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Traditional food systems in the Middle East under threat. World Nutrition 2015, 6(2): 225-227. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Food Security in the Middle East and North Africa. International Journal of Biological, Veterinary, Agricultural and Food Engineering 2015, 9(1): 47-50. Garduño-Diaz SD and Garduño-Diaz PY.
- Nutrition. Visions for this century. World Nutrition 2014, 5(12): 1067-1084. Yambi O, Fardet A, Garduño-Diaz SD, Patel R and Wahlqvist ML.
- Food supplies. Green shoots in Kuwait. World Nutrition 2014, 5(12): 1128-1130. Garduño-Diaz SD
- Eating habits and nutrient intake of migrant South Asians in the UK. Public Health 2014, DOI 10.1016/j.puhe.2014.07.007. Garduño-Diaz SD and Khokhar S.
- The Food System/NOVA. Theory and reality in the Arab world. World Nutrition 2014, 5(10): 906-908. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- The evolution of sports nutrition: a historical perspective and contemporary practices. International Journal of Medical and Public Health Science Research 2014, 2(2): 5-15. Garduño-Diaz SD and Garduño-Diaz PY.
- Climate. Nutrition. The Big Picture. World Nutrition 2014, 5(9): 797-800. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Components of an obesogenic environment in Kuwait. Journal of Nutritional Therapeutics 2014, 3(2): 35-46. Garduño-Diaz SD and Garduño-Diaz PY.
- Meeting challenges related to the dietary assessment of ethnic minority populations. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2013, DOI 10.1111/jhn.12153. Garduño-Diaz SD, Husain W, Ashkanani F and Khokhar S.
- Diet, ethnicity and the metabolic syndrome. Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN 978-3-659-44443-2 2013. Garduño-Diaz SD.
- Assessment and comparison of diet quality and physical activity of African-Caribbean, South Asian and Caucasian groups in the UK. International Journal of Food Science, Nutrition and Dietetics 2013, 2:501. Garduño-Diaz SD and Khokhar S.
- Application of ethnic food composition data for understanding the diet and nutrition of South Asians in the UK. Food Chemistry 2013,140: 436-442. Khokhar S, Ashkanani F, Garduño-Diaz SD and Husain W.
- Prevalence, risk factors and complications associated with type 2 diabetes in South Asians. Diabetes Metabolism Research Reviews 2013, 28:6-24. Garduño-Diaz SD and Khokhar S.
- Mineral composition of commonly-consumed ethnic foods in Europe. Food & Nutrition Research 2012, 56: 17665. Khokhar S, Garduño-Diaz SD, Marletta L, Shahar DR, Ireland JD, Jansen- van der Vliet M and de Henauw S.
- South Asian dietary patterns and their association to metabolic syndrome risk factors. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2012. DOI 10.1111/j. 1365-277X.2012.01284.x. Garduño-Diaz SD and Khokhar S.
Want to work together?
Just email me!